FAQ's - Getting Married

What age do you have to be to legally marry?

The legal age limit in South Africa is 18 years of age. 


What documents are needed?

You will need to supply me with photos and other relevant documentation.  See below

Where both parties are South African

Where one party is South African and the other is a Foreign National

Where both parties are Foreign Nationals

How do I know which celebrant to choose?

You need to "connect"... then anything is possible !!!
Talk with the person you are considering to marry you as they play such an important role . Both of you need to be comfortable with one another and ensure you are on the same page re the style, length and content of the ceremony.

When do I need to choose my celebrant?

I would suggest, as soon as you have decided on your wedding date and have secured the venue, your next stop should be your celebrant.
Most bookings ensure you will have the date and time for your ceremony, and can be made with a deposit and the balance paid 1 week before the ceremony.
If you do not book a celebrant early the chances are you will have to take whoever is left which may not be your preferred choice.
Also don't be guided by the price as it is the same as most areas in life "you get what you pay for"

We are not religious so does the ceremony run any differently?

The ceremony will still require the celebrant to say the legal "bits" as required by South African Law.  The rest of the content is entirely up to the couple be it religious or secular.


Do you provide everything needed for the ceremony? i.e. sound equipment, signing table, certificates of marriage to sign etc?

All paper work will be supplied before and at the ceremony.
I have a PA system which has microphones, I can provide a signing table.

How far do you travel from your Table View address?

I am available to travel anywhere if other bookings permit. For no extra cost I will travel within a 25kms radius of Table View. After that distance, travel costs may be incurred.


Do you run through the wedding rehearsal with us?

I would recommend a rehearsal at the location, especially if there are young children involved or a Large bridal party. This is to ensure that everyone will fit in the space available ( for the large bridal party) and for young children to get used to what they need to do, as well as to check the timing with the music for the processional.   I do not need to attend this

Do you lodge the marriage certificates?

My services include lodging the paperwork within a week of the ceremony.

How long before the ceremony do you arrive?

I will arrive no later than 20mins before the ceremony.

How long do your ceremonies take?

As the ceremony is the most important part of the wedding day I suggest couples put some thought into the length and content of the ceremony. You don't want it to be over too quickly as it is such an important part of your day and sets the tone for your whole celebration.
A ceremony can be as short as 8-10 minutes for the KISS & GO Ceremony.  Most ceremonies last about 30 -40 mins from the processional to the end and that would include 1 or 2 readings and added unity ceremonies.

Can we get married just the two of us, or do other people need to be present?

No, there needs to be at least two witnesses present who are over the age of 18. You do not need to know them...it could be the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker !!

If we want, can we get married tomorrow?

For a Kiss & Go ceremony ( legalities only), Providing that I am available and you have all the required documentation ready


If my divorce is not finalised, but I want to re-marry 

You cannot get married until you have provided a copy of Final Divorce Decree.

We are coming to South Africa for a holiday and we want to get married there, it this legal? Will it be recognised in my own country?

Yes, this is legal and it will be recognised in your own country providing you are over the age of 18, have two witnesses present and have all the appropriate paperwork. For same sex couples, you would need to check it your marriage is recognized in your country. You will have to have your documents translated by registered translator if documents are not in English.  Please see Documents Required – Both Parties are Foreign Nationals. It is also advisable that you check with your own country's rules and regulations to double check the marriage will have validity.

Can two people of the same sex marry?

Yes. It has been legal in South Africa since 2006 for same gender partners to marry. 

What happens to the balance of our payment if the wedding is cancelled?

If you cancel your ceremony three weeks prior to the final payment, then the final payment does not have to be made. However, the deposit is non-refundable.

What if I want to change my name after the wedding?

Some women who marry choose to change their surname to their husband's surname. This is done as a matter of custom and not of law.

In terms of section 26 (1) of the Birth and Death Registration Act, as amended, a person after marriage may: 
(a) Assume his/her partner’s surname; 
(b) Resume a surname, which he/she bore at any prior time, 
(c) Join his/her birth surname or previous married surname with that of his/hers/partner's, or,
(d) Retain his/her name.

You can change your surname at anytime after the wedding  at Dept. Home Affairs free of charge.


I’ve heard so many conflicting stories about the Civil Union Act and we don’t know if I want my marriage to be registered under such an act.  How will this affect me if I am NOT in a same-sex marriage?


Rev. Linda Everitt is registered under the Civil Union Act of 2006.  The Act allows anyone – regardless of their sexual orientation – to marry either through a civil marriage or a customary marriage. Same-sex and straight couples may register their unions either as Marriages or as Civil Unions, but there is no legal difference other than the heading name.  


We - (Ordained Clergy) have a choice of 2 exams to be written for registration (We are only allowed to take one exam)        

     - one for heterosexual sex ( straight)  couples.  {Civil Marriage – Marriage Act}


     - One for both - heterosexual (Straight) couples as well as same sex couples - this is the one I have. {Civil Union Marriage and/or Civil Union Partnership – Civil Union Act}


Although couples married under the act are afforded all rights provided under the marriage act, a same-sex Civil Union is not recognized in some countries – it is your responsibility to ascertain the laws for the country you will be residing in after your marriage.  If you are a heterosexual (straight) couple, your marriage will be recognized anywhere in the world.